Britain's leading swimmer at this summer's European Championships

>> Tuesday, October 5, 2010


Daily Telegraph - It is better to be a human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; Better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied." John Mill, philosopher, 1861 "


Take note Australia: Fran Halsall, the Aristotle and Plato-loving British swimmer, admits to being "never satisfied" if her favourite quote is anything to go by.

Despite winning five medals at this summer's European Championships in Budapest, including gold in the 100 metres freestyle, the bubbly Southport swimmer is unlikely to stop in her quest towards London 2012 glory.

After being chased by the Swedes in the Hungarian capital, she will now face stiff competition from Emily Seebohm and 15 year-old Yolane Kukla, Australia's rising star of the pool, at the SP Mukherjee Aquatics complex here but is confident of delivering on all already impressive 2010.

"I was so happy with what I did in Budapest," says Halsall, who is the top-ranked Commonwealth athlete in her freestyle events. "I would like to swim faster and I know I can in Delhi. I want to be out of the blocks first and that is starting to show. I am maturing with each race, coming into my own and I want to be on top of it this week."

Like Seebohm, Halsall, who swam as a 15 year-old at her first Games in Melbourne, will swim six events in Delhi over the week. On top of her 50m and 100m freestyle swims, the 100m butterfly and two relays, the 50m fly has also been added for the first time.

"If I get through all those to a high standard then I know that it is on the cards for London 2012," she admits. "Only then can I see if it is viable. The 50m fly is open for medals and, being the racer, I am in for it.

"I have one evening where I have the 100m freestyle final and 20 minutes later I have the 100m butterfly semi-final which should be an interesting combination. Five days competition and then I get a holiday. That's all I've got to think about."

Following Delhi, the 2008 world silver medallist over 100m will focus on completing her Theology 'A' level. It's the answers she wants to know about. "I am never satisfied with anything and I like arguing and comparing," says Halsall, who is aiming to do a History 'A' level after London 2012.

"But obviously it is better to be like that and be able to improve rather than be happy with whatever.

1 comments:

Tony October 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM  

My new blog http://dethemes.blogspot.com bek tuwoe kalon.

Post a Comment

Statistic

Network

Facebook - Twitter

© Blogger template

Themes 'Simple n Sweet'
Redesign by Pozan Matang

Infolinks